Show HN: Data Engineering with Rust https://ift.tt/cLxiH2r

Show HN: Data Engineering with Rust Hi HN! A few months ago, EntICOnc shared a blog post I wrote about using Rust from the perspective of a Python developer [0] which was well received, with some positive as well as mixed feedback. One thing I didn’t foresee would happen, is this little post getting a lot of attention, especially from the data engineering crowd which I consider myself a part of. Looking at the feedback, it was clear that there are some resources missing for a specific use case for which I think Rust is a perfect candidate: Data Engineering. Currently, Data Engineering is dominated by languages like Java, Scala and of course, Python. However as I explain and attempt to prove with prose and code in the first and second chapters, Rust is a very serious and good option for data engineering workloads. While I’m not an expert in Rust, and explicitly disclose it, I think that I now know “enough” having written and maintained a few Rust workloads and comparing them to Python based ones. I started working on this project a while ago and I held back from sharing it here until at least a few chapters are “released” and available for people to read through and perhaps constructively criticise. I already sort of launched it on LinkedIn and Twitter, where it was very well received [1], so I thought it’s time to share it here as well. Right now there are 2 chapters: - Why Rust is a good choice for data engineering - How to get started with Rust Most of the Rust code on the website can run in your browser (but do require Javascript), some of the code snippets are also editable. This is thanks to mdbook (written in Rust, btw :) ) - should be fine on mobile too. It’s free, you don’t have to subscribe however I’d appreciate that and any feedback that can help me make this into an ongoing resource. If I made any mistakes, don’t hold back and let me know, I’ll fix them right away and credit you as well. I'm a french guy living in Germany, I'm very used to criticism ^^ [0] Carefully exploring Rust as a Python developer: https://ift.tt/qIuxBQW [1] Latest LinkedIn post: https://ift.tt/qMcONeh... https://ift.tt/UqmGS6W May 3, 2023 at 08:43PM

Comments

Popular Posts